Sunday, June 28, 2009

There She Was

I saw her on Tuesday. She was sitting there, alone in a crowd. Her quiet elegance stood out amongst the bright colors surrounding her. I took a double glance at her before getting in line to get my coffee.

She was there on Wednesday also. I tried not to look. Tried to ignore the pull in my heart towards her. I succeeded, but the memory of her lingered in my head throughout the day. I had a Starbucks card, so I knew I would be going the next day. I decided however, that I would go to a different one instead. I'll go Pioneer Square. It's only one stop up. It's a little busier... but I would not face temptation again.

Thursday started out as usual. Get up. Get ready. Race to get the right train. I am a creature of habit. I forgot. We rolled into 5th and Morrison and I departed the train. I walked through the doors of Pioneer Place and approached the glass windows of Starbucks. I stopped in my tracks. There she was. She was alone today. Simple and quiet. A peaceful calm amidst the craziness that is morning at Starbucks. I ordered my latte and tried to keep my eyes averted. As I added my splenda and sprinkled cinnamon on top of the white foam... I tried not to look... tried to ignore her pull. I was unsuccessful. I looked longingly before heading back out the glass doors. I knew it... if she was still there on Friday... I would approach her.

Friday started late. My first thought was to skip Starbucks and just make coffee at work. But I didn't have time to make breakfast and I had $12 left on the gift card. "I should save it," I told myself. I didn't though. I knew i had to go. I had to see if she was there. I approached slowly... afraid she might not be there... that I had missed my chance... but there she. Beautiful and simple. As I got closer I saw... the bright red standing out against the creamy white... my heart raced with excited.. could it really be... YES! She was on clearance... and they had just lowered her price by $2! I took her in my hands and caressed her gently... she was mine.



Yes, I know I'm crazy. But, I love mugs... it's a secret obsession. She makes me happy. I don't know why no one had snatched her up before... maybe it was because her lips weren't perfectly round... but really, isn't that part of life's charms... all the little imperfections make us each unique....

2 comments:

  1. I kinda wondered where this was going... dripping with suspense... I should have known!

    Not "just" a clearance item, but a clearance item you can put coffee in.

    You must be in heaven...

    ReplyDelete