Sunday, May 30, 2010

An update from the iPad and a recipe

So, I couldn't find an app for blogger, but I figured I could just use the note pad and then email the post. Also, I'm really loving the iPad. As someone who isn't really techy or busynessy I've struggled a little bit with feeling worthy of the iPad...but i've discovered a cool journal app and I'm excited about iBooks.
Anyway, I'm going to post about my six week challenge soon. It really didn't go well and I'm formulating my words for it carefully.
In the meantime. Here is a recipe for my orange baked beans. I kind of mixed a recipe I found for Boston baked beans and my moms recipe for orange baked beans and formulated my own recipe. The recipe I found from big daddies house on the food network called for roasted garlic, but my dad doesn't like garlic so I used caramelized onions instead. If you don't know how to caramelize onions, you might want to find better directions than mine, but I did just write down what I did. Please let me know if you try it and if you changed anything. Also, as a warning, this mares a lot of beans so you can easily half it if you want. You can also omit the bacon if you want. I just had real bacon bits on hand so i used those.

Orange Baked Beans
-2 tbsp olive oil
-2 large onions (prefferably sweet like Vidalia or Wallawalla) sliced
-6 slices cooked bacon or 1 cup precooked bacon bits.
-1teaspoon seasoning salt
-2 large cans vegetarian baked beans (such as Bush's)
-4 regular size cans beans, any mixture you like (I use a mix of black and pinto) drained and rinsed
- 1 can frozen orange juicer concentrate
- 1/2 cup brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
1. Carmelize the onions.
Heat olive oil in either a dutch oven or soup pot (I know I'm real technical) on med. Add onions and stir. Cover pot cook for about 45 minutes until the onions are soft and a light golden color...stirring occasionally so the onions don't burn.
2. Add seasoning salt and bacon stirring to combine.
3. Add beans, orange juice concentrate and brown sugar and half cup of water. Stir to combine and heat until bubbling.
4. Cover pan and place in oven. Bake for 4-6 hours until beans thick.


Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying your new gadget! I know you didn't do anything to win it other than comment on a blog, but Katy, you DO deserve to win/receive cool stuff! I think you're awesome, my lady!

    And I bookmarked this post so I can try your recipe sometime. I can't make baked beans like mom for some reason, so I'm always looking for something I can make!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omit the bacon? Whoa now! Let's not do anything drastic here...

    ReplyDelete